Saturday, September 13, 2008

I should change my name...

A friend of mine asked me if i was going to go to the Dew Tour this weekend. For those of you who don't know, the Dew Tour is a series of Skateboard, Moto Cross and BMX contest around the Unites States. They feature"the best" that each sport has to offer. Anyway...I told my buddy I was not going to go so he asked, "why not, aren't you a big time skater?" For those of you who know my skating abilities (especially lately) you are laughing at that comment due to the fact I am a far cry from a "big time" skater. I told him that the Dew Tour is one of the most hypocritical events of the whole year. A few months ago I was skateboarding outside the arena here in Salt Lake and the security guard came and told me that I had to leave because I was in other peoples' way... for the record the lot that the arena is on is huge and VERY unpopulated all the time. On my way out I was greeted by another guard telling me he was going to call the police... stunning.
Skateboarders are always told to leave because we are either in the way, on private property (the same property vagrants sleep on and where pedestrians wait for rides or eat lunch) or we are wrecking the ledge/stairs of whatever we are skating. So a few months ago "I" was in the way and "ruining" property but this weekend Mountain Dew is in town and they filled a full parking lot with dirt and completely blocked off 2 blocks of main streets next to that same arena. Interesting, me alone in the middle of a Wednesday is a bother but a thousand plus person crew for a whole weekend with dirt filled parking lots is cool. I guess I need to change my name to Mountain Dew then I can skateboard.

No comments: